It can be challenging to develop a curriculum that is educational and interesting.
“The primary goal,” according to educators Carol Ann Tomlinson and Jay McTighe, “is to develop and deepen student understanding.”
But if students don’t find the material engaging, many of them won’t pay enough attention to learn what the curriculum is supposed to teach them.
And if that task isn’t challenging enough, there are also a variety of standards that you must comply with. These often depend on the grade level, whether the school is public or private, and the state in which the curriculum will be used.
In the United States, educational standards include the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Next Generation Learning Standards. For science, there’s the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
The goal with any standards-based curriculum is to improve overall academic achievement and make students more prepared for college and the workplace.
Here’s the thing, though …
The way your curriculum is presented to students makes a HUGE difference.
“Super Copy Editors is extremely professional and on top of all deadlines. Their work has taken our curriculum to the next level.”
—Maddy Levine, Director of Operations, National Summer School Initiative
Take Your Curriculum to the Next Level
Even when curriculum developers are highly educated in a subject, such as history or math, it’s not always easy for them to break the subject down in a way that K–12 students understand.
Grammar mistakes and typos confuse students because they distract from the underlying information.
Even when these mistakes are removed, it won’t do any good if the materials are not written in a way that is clear, concise, and sufficiently detailed.
The ideas should also be presented in a logical way that’s easy for the students to follow.
We Can Help
At Super Copy Editors, we understand the challenges that education companies, school districts, and other curriculum designers face. We’re also knowledgeable about Common Core and Next Generation standards.
We combine this knowledge with our copy editing expertise to help curriculum developers improve their materials.
Our seasoned copy editors—some of whom include former teachers—have collectively worked on a range of educational materials from publishers such as Scholastic Inc., McGraw-Hill School Division, A Pass Educational Group, SAGE, and The Old Schoolhouse Magazine, as well as a Montessori training program and an educational assessment/learning analytics company.
A Curriculum Copy Editing Team With Proven Experience
At Super Copy Editors, based in New York City, we have a passion for ensuring K–12 curriculum materials are error-free, logical, clear, and engaging. Our clients over the past decade have included:
- Over a five-year period from 2012 to 2016, we provided comprehensive copy editing services for EL Education’s Grades 3–8 curriculum.
- This highly rated open-source curriculum has been downloaded by more than 10 million users.
- “I see evidence of all the best education pedagogy I have read in my professional journals and books,” said teacher Karen Kondrick, adding, “It is evident that multiple teachers/education professionals have worked together to ensure best teaching practices are in every lesson.”
- Super Copy Editors was also the exclusive copy editing team for the “2.0” version of EL Education’s curriculum, which saw the addition of kindergarten through second grade.
Cadence Learning / National Summer School Initiative
- Arising during the global disruption in K–12 education caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, Cadence Learning put together an ambitious and innovative virtual learning curriculum for Grades 3–8 in summer and fall 2020.
- Super Copy Editors provided daily copy editing of both student materials and teacher overviews in ELA and math. This was a yearlong project (2020–21 school year) that was later expanded to include a summer 2021 component.
- Participating teachers and students from across the nation rated the curriculum highly, with 81% of students saying they had grown as readers.
- The enthusiasm for Cadence Learning’s vibrant program stood in marked contrast to the lukewarm reception of many other online learning initiatives during the pandemic. Beth Schueler, co-author of a study into Cadence Learning’s implementation, said: “Obviously, there are a lot of downsides to virtual learning. But … the folks who participated felt like this was a really engaging and positive kind of virtual experience.”
- In 2022, Cadence Learning was renamed National Summer School Initiative (NSSI). Super Copy Editors jumped at the chance to work with NSSI on an updated summer curriculum, now expanded to include all grades from kindergarten through 12th grade.
DSST Public Schools
- Part of the Denver Public Schools system, DSST is one of the leading open enrollment STEM schools in the country. To date, an amazing 100% of its graduates have been accepted into four-year colleges.
- From 2015 to 2018, Super Copy Editors copy edited assessments for DSST in various subjects such as world history, U.S. history, American literature, biology, and physics.
How We Helped EL Education Produce a Top-Quality Curriculum
EL Education needed regular copy editing of their curriculum materials. They were overwhelmed with large amounts of text, and their previous freelance copy editor was both too expensive and not flexible enough to take on the daily volume of content. Here’s how we helped them excel.
We Are Ready to Copy Edit Your K–12 Curriculum
If you’re looking for a proven team of curriculum copy editors to ensure the highest-quality product possible, look no further. Contact us to learn more about our copy editing and proofreading services.