When you’re writing and creating your business website, you might be tempted to rush through your “About Us” page. Some people don’t even include one on their website because they think it’s overdone or unnecessary.
But leaving out an “About Us” page is a mistake.
This critical web page is consistently among the top three or four pages viewed by website visitors, according to research by Carrot, a real estate marketing company.
“Every site we’ve run tests on has shown us that a significant portion of the visitors flow through to the about page to learn more about that company to see if they’re a credible solution to solve their problem,” says Carrot.
It’s about trust. One of the best ways for your business to sell to consumers is to build trust.
Your “About Us” page lets your readers and potential customers see who you are and what you care about. It gives them insight into your company’s values, goals, background, and mission. These are all qualities your potential customers will use to determine whether to do business with you or not.
Here are four tips on how to write an “About Us” page that will persuade casual readers to become customers.
In a rush? Get this article as a PDF guide so you won’t miss these tips!
The first rule of successful marketing is to know exactly who you want to target with your message.
Not everyone will use your product or service, and it would be pointless to try to market your business to everyone. You want to find the right demographic of people who like your business, and then focus all your efforts on them.
Consider these same principles before writing your “About Us” page for your business.
Think about the demographic you want to target and ask yourself the following questions:
- What do all (or most) of my prospective and current customers have in common?
- What is their age, location, and occupation?
- What is their common need for my product or service?
The more you understand your customers, the more effective your “About Us” page will be in establishing trust and confidence.
Once you have finished your bio using these tips on how to write an “About Us” page, you’ll want to have it edited to ensure it’s error-free. This way, you’ll make a lasting impression on your readers. At Super Copy Editors, we help turn merely good “About Us” pages into super “About Us” pages. Learn more about our website proofreading services.
You probably think the “About Us” page is all about you. It’s not.
It’s about your customers and whoever clicks on the link to look at it.
So make sure you’re speaking to the readers about why they should check out the rest of your business and website (and buy your product or service).
Here are some things to talk about:
- What problems your customers are having and how your company will solve them.
- How you can help your customers with whatever your company does or makes.
- You can also point out similar interests with your customers to build trust and relationships.
Sure, you can talk about yourself. But make sure it’s in the context of how you will help your customers.
- If you sell industrial equipment, don’t drone on and on about how you got started or how many awards you’ve won.
- Instead, you can write your bio with your job title in mind. This will keep the focus on how your position at the company can help the reader. If you’re in sales, talk about all your experience helping customers get exactly what they want. If you’re in management, write about how you enjoy inspiring others to pursue maximum customer satisfaction.
While some people are too busy or uninterested in your “About Us” page, many others would love to know more about the people behind the business. So tell them a little about your story and how you got to the position you’re in now.
Some people are afraid this will make them look unprofessional.
The opposite is true because it makes you more relatable. People will then be more likely to trust you and your company.
Your story should be more than a story for story’s sake. It should illustrate that you understand the reader and show them you are capable of providing excellent service because of your credentials and experience.
However, don’t go too far with your personal description. Try to keep this content business-related as much as possible. Keep it short and to the point. Nobody wants to read pages and pages about your life history—they’re busy, just like you.
Remember that, despite its name, the “About Us” page is directed toward the customer. Let the reader know the vital information about you that will persuade them to work with you. There are always stories behind businesses and their employees. Tell yours in a way that resonates with the reader.
Don’t Miss: Here’s Our Own “About Us” Page
This wouldn’t be a great how to write an “About Us” page article without a detailed list of what you should include.
So here’s a list of items you should add to your “About Us” page:
- Name and Credentials: Social media is massive, and it’s all about connections. If someone wants to get in touch with you or tweet about your company, the first place they are going is the about page. They’ll also need your name and job title, so be sure to include them, especially if you want to be found in search engines.
- Photos: People will feel more comfortable with and connected to you with a photo. It’s also easier to put a face to a name if you ever meet or if someone is trying to remember who you are.
- Video: This is optional, but if you use a video to tell a little more about yourself, keep it short and to the point. As with your written bio, people don’t have 10 minutes to get to know you on a personal level.
- What Makes You Unique: Try to include an interesting fact about yourself—ideally business-related, but not necessarily—to provide more connection and intrigue for the reader.
- How You Can Help: Lastly, state how you can or want to help the reader. This will be the final thing they read about you, so make it endearing and memorable.
Use these items in your “About Us” bio, and you will provide the reader with enough information to make a connection and continue with the rest of your business’s website.
Don’t forget! Download “How to Write an ‘About Us’ Page for Your Business Website: 4 Tips to Make It Shine” to keep it handy and take action on it. Click here to download it now.
Depending on the nature of your business, have a little fun with your “About Us” page—or at least make it more interesting than just providing a list of facts and numbers.
People want to identify and connect with those they are about to do business with. Once they do that, they are more likely to make purchases and become repeat customers.
The final aspect of how to write an “About Us” page is to ensure that it is perfectly worded and conveys the right tone. At Super Copy Editors, we understand that this is your first impression on a potential customer or business partner and that you want everything to be flawless.
Our seasoned team has edited and proofread thousands of business pages, including “About Us” web pages, and we know exactly what needs to be done to make yours shine. Get in touch now for a free quote and additional information about our website editing and proofreading services.